This projects was related to the initial study of a preliminary sustainability and availability technical analysis for an overall radio network design for NB-IoT over LEO satellite services, under the restriction of having special category of small size satellites called cube satellites (cubeSats, references here and here)
Dr. Louvros and MCNS is a collaborating member of OQTech core team in the field of 5G technology and advisory consultancy services (see here)
NB-IoT over LEO satellite is not a full part of 3GPP specification and poses several technical restrictions on LTE and 5G technology and standards regarding network performance, number of users as well as throughput and accessibility, due to LEO satellite peculiarities and difficult radio link. Moreover the cube satellites require a low power consumption algorithms and special implementation in order to make the overall NB-IoT over LEO satellite project sustainable. (see here)
MCNS project technical reports and deliverables included among others:
• RF propagation modelling for 5.8 GHz band in Rural and Urban LoS and non-LoS environments with different spatial (MIMO) antenna schemes.
• An initial NB-IoT full link budget analysis and service sustainability
• An initial hardware analysis for MIMO technology and power amplification vs power consumption synthesis to provide adequate SINR for NB-IoT control and user data channels and signals, under the restriction of small size cube satellites.
• A full analysis on Doppler shifting Intre-Carrier Interference and its countermeasures for LEO high speed satellite channels.
• A proper channel modelling for the LEO satellites radio channel, including a OFDM technology and cyclic prefix period minimum requirements
• BLER vs SINR and CINR analysis, concluding on number of retransmissions
• RRC PDCP, RLC, MAC and physical layer protocol analysis regarding the 3GPP parameters, buffers, timers and delays sustainability over the satellite link. Proper modifications and minimum requirements were concluded.
• RACH accessibility success rate and RACH delay analysis
• Cube Satellite footprint analysis, including coverage planning report vs. SINR.
• Number of users supported per LEO satellite and handover rate
• Full mathematical models and analysis results for QoS, capacity and coverage performance analysis
• A proper excel calculator to evaluate and provide a sufficient Proof of Concept for European Space Agency (ESA) meetings.
For further information about the affiliated company press here